At Parker's believe that there is significant room for improvement in the 505 boat technology. Foils, sails and rigs have all advanced in recent times, but the boat, nothing has really changed for 20 years.
Here are some highlights:
- The hull shape is brand new, we have modified the hull to be an all-round performance hull, not optimized for heavy or light conditions, a boat with a narrower entry and flatter section from station 6 backwards. More to the point the hull is absolutely symmetrical and smooth, reducing resistance and maximizing flow to ensure faster acceleration and maintained speed.
- The new mast A-frame is lighter, stiffer and offers more flexibility for the fit out of the boat, gone is all that cramped area under the deck, it's now open and accessible, allowing for the ultimate rigging experience, faster to set-up, quicker to alter. Additionally the A-frame is now embedded in the total structure from the seat-tanks to the mast-step providing for a much stiffer experience. The mast-gate is open to all for less than 24ft' rake for heavy conditions.
- The boat has a dual A-frame mould in the hull, that connects to the forward bulkhead, back to the centerboard case, with 2 lateral spines. This adds incredible strength to the high stress areas in the boat, including supporting the enormous compression loads that the rig delivers through the hull. Dispersion of stress through the hull is maximized.
- The removable mast-step allows for flexible fitting, attached with 4 recessed screws, this plate enables for easy fitting for key control lines from halyards to sail controls.
- The dual thwarts strengthen and support the centerboard casing, embedded in recessed cups into the seat-tanks and bonded into the centerboard casing both the forward and aft carbon sections (50mm and 35mm) provide incredible support to the carbon centerboard case, removing lateral movement and supporting the high loads that now come from the high-aspect ratio blades.
- Centralized weight - most of the weight of the boat is concentrated from the forward bulkhead to the back of the centerboard case. This reduces the rocking-moment of the boat (the time the boat takes to come to rest from a vertical 1 meter swing test). This means the boat has a faster acceleration capability and maintains it's speed for longer.
- Full carbon/kevlar epoxy 8mm sandwich construction. We are not just using carbon, carbon is great for ultimate strength but it doesn't stress well, so with a carbon/kevlar weave you have strength and power in that the kevlar takes the high impacts that carbon hates. The entire hull and topsides on our normal boat are composed of such materials making an incredibly stable and stiff boat.
- Form structures, where possible we have used the natural curves and moulds of the boat to enhance the stiffness of the boat, removing lay-ups from naturally strong areas, this provides a very light bow (even with the spinnaker chute) and stern sections.
- We have added a large spinnaker chute with a reverse self-drain to get rid of that water quickly, again made out of carbon, this is light and strong.
- The center-board case has a double skin, not found on any other boat, this provides extra thickness on the pivot-point a critical load area that induces twist in the boat. This makes our center-board case the strongest of any boat on the market.
- We have variable rear bailer positions, that can be moved for and aft, using internal super-elvstrom bailers this provides either for single or dual sided.
- The transom is super stiff, both with the strong form factor and that every part of the transom is made from Kevlar/Carbon, with a vertical carbon spine, this is incredibly strong and stiff, more than capable of taking the pressures from the high aspect ratio rudder blades used today.
- The boat is actually constructed while still in the mould, meaning that nothing moves when we bond the topside to the hull, the joint is almost perfect to 1mm ensuring that the shear line is exact and that the bonding is equal all the way around the boat. This large area enables for greater bonding area, reducing any possible movement and ensuring the strongest of bonds.
- Parker's will modify the boat to match your bailer position requirements, ensuring that you have the set-up you need.
- Parker's can also rig the boat to your specification, although we have a standard build, we can even manage to rig a transom mainsheet system for you!